Saturday, May 9, 2009

Healthful Cooking For Your Family

Healthy Food Bytes: Healthful Cooking For Your Family

As a Mom, I feel one of my main jobs is to be the gatekeeper of my family's health. I know that not all moms can study nutrition in collage, but all moms can make it a priority to be informed. Dad's can be informed too, but I'll focus on moms since we are nearing Mother's Day.

For general guidelines, follow my tips at the end of this blog. You don't have to count calories. You don't have to follow a "special" diet. Just eat primarily whole, plant based foods, and add lean protein - does not always have to be animal based.

The Kids
Talk to your kids about why it is important to eat healthfully. It's never too early to start. I started when my kids were toddlers. I would tell them that broccoli trees would help them stay healthy so they wouldn't get so many sniffles. They didn't like getting sniffles, so they ate their broccoli trees. As kids, I would also count with them how many veggies and fruit they ate every day. When they were running low, they would tell me - "Mom, I need more veggies at dinner because I only ate 2 today so far." They knew the goal was 5-9 a day.

Don't try to "hide" veggies in kids foods. That never teaches them to make healthful choices. We are their role models and their educators. Always offer them a variety of fruits and vegetables and whole grains. Try different recipes. Go online and download a couple of new recipes over the weekend (Ellie Krieger on Food TV and Eatingwell.com are two good sources).

I usually make three veggies at diner time. I'll make one's I know they like for sure, and one I want them to learn to like. My 15 year old still gets one small piece of tomato in his green salad. He can handle eating one small piece event thought he doesn't care for tomatoes.

On study I read stated that if you try something at least 10 times, you begin to acquire a taste for it. It has worked for my boys for the majority of the things that I wanted them to learn how to eat. It has not kicked in for Adam and tomatoes. But that's OK. Both my boys eat an abundance of veggies, fruit and whole grains. My latest experiment is asparagus. My boys will get 1/2 plate of veggies - and one asparagus stalk. They kid me about it but they do eat it. While they don't hate it, it's not their favorite.

I have taught them to "choose" real food over processed, sugary foods. One night, Aaron slept over a friends house. In the morning they served donuts and cows milk and hot chocolate for breakfast. His instinct was "donuts are for dessert once in a while, not for breakfast", so he politely declined and told them he wasn't hungry so early in the morning and ate a late breakfast when he got home. I don't deprive my kids of sweets. Moderation is the key. And dessert never replaces a meal.

OK so, when we take the boys out for a special meal - Cracker Barrel is one of their favorites - I don't deprive them of ordering bacon and white buttermilk pancakes. It is a treat when we go out to eat. We rarely go out to eat. But at home, we eat for our health.

For a special home treat, we'll make a traditionally unhealthful meal in a more healthy way. Take pizza for example; we make pizza about 2x per month, but here's how:

We make our own crust with whole wheat pastry flour.
We use lots of veggies.
We use fresh low-fat, hormone/antibiotic free cheese.
We make our own sauce with fresh garlic and onions.
We use low-fat, hormone/antibiotic free sausage.

It's a family affair. Everyone helps make pizza on pizza night - whoever wants to eat that is. In my house, if you don't help make pizza, then we won't make pizza, and you won't eat pizza. This rule even works on stubborn teenagers. I can go without pizza for months; they can't. I've said this before, cooking with your kids gives you quality family time and helps them appreciate the food you made, even when it is healthful.

One more tip about pizza night, I usually make a huge, yummy, special salad such as Asian salad or Southwest salad. We don't fill up on pizza alone.

Most of you know my rule - 90% good food for your health, 10% for your soul. (If there is illness, then I would say 100% food for health until you get better).

Your Spouse
If you have the support of your spouse, then this task will be easier for you. If you don't - it will be much tougher. Talk to your spouse about why it is important for you to maintain a healthful menu for your family. You can't control what he eats all day. But you do have control over what your kids eat. Be a good example. Experiment with recipes. He's bound to like healthful foods if it's interesting. Don't make soggy vegetables. Don't serve bland foods. Have him help you choose recipes. If you both work, you'll need his help because preparing healthful meals takes planning and a little time. I do know families where the man of the house is the primary "chef" of the home. My hats off to you. These guidelines are for you as well.

The Switch
Switch to whole grain foods and organic whenever possible. Don't buy white refined foods. Limit pre-packaged meals. Make meals from scratch. You can get help by buying pre-cut prepared foods. You can cook big over the weekend and have two meals - freeze one for another time. You can make simple healthful meals - 30 minute meals. It doesn't have to be rocket science, but you do need to be informed. Educate yourself, then educate your family. It will produce good results in the long run.

Thanks for reading Healthy Food Bytes

No comments:

Post a Comment