Thursday, September 24, 2009

Kick Your Immune System Into Gear

Healthy Food Bytes: Kick Your Immune System Into Gear

The first thing you need to address is your diet. Make sure you are getting 5-9 servings of fruits and vegetables every day. It’s not impossible. Read previous archived posts of this blog, I share plenty of ideas and recipes to help you achieve this goal.
Quick tips:
-Add salad to your lunch and or dinner
-Make more than one veggie at dinner time
-Snack on veggies or fruit (carrots, sugar snap peas, radishes, cucumbers, apple, pear, banana etc.) instead of pretzels, cookies, popcorn etc.
-Compliment your lunch with veggies or fruit instead of chips. Add veggies to your sandwich – tomato, lettuce, cucumber, bell pepper etc.
-Start Juicing (see archive on juicing) – get more veggies in this way

Get your 7-8 hours of sleep every night. Sleep is a vital time when your body has time to repair.

Drink plenty of water: 8 glasses a day. Bigger folks may need more. If you work out, you may also need more.

Follow my top rules for health listed at the bottom of my blog entry.

Wash your hands, wash your hands, and wash your hands….often. And keep your hands away from your face.

One of the most important things you can do when you have a cold is stay home and steam. I have a Clairol facial steamer w/ nasal attachment, I add Eucalyptus oil (antiviral/antibacterial) and get all the mucus free flowing to get it out. This is much better than nasal decongestants which make your heart race (really bad for kids) and doesn't really get the mucous out.

Supplement your diet with immune powerhouse herbs and vitamins. Take a full spectrum, high potency multiple-vitamin.

Here are some of my favorite supplements that keep my immune system strong (I only buy standardized supplements to ensure potency – in other words, don’t buy your supplements at Walmart or Target):

Buried Treasure Liquid Vitamins
Buried Treasure Acai Blend and Mangosteen Blend Super Fruit Liquid
Olive Leaf Extract
Grape Seed Extract
Extra Vitamin C 1,000 mg
Extra Vitamin D3 2,000 mg
Drinks:
Ginger Tea every day
Green Tea and White tea every day

If your immune system is compromised, at the first sign of a feeling sick, try the following:
Buried Treasure ACF – this is an amazing blend of nutrients that will jumpstart your immune system.
Added Grapeseed Extract and Olive Leaf Extract (3x-4x per day)
Kick Ass Immune by Wish Garden
Oreganol Oil P73
Pressed garlic cloves (2-3 per day with meals – mix with applesauce or mashed potatoes)
Ginger capsules or ginger tea works great for nausea.

Depending on the severity of your illness, you can take these herbs every two hours, three hours or four hours. I knocked out colds in 6 -8 hours.

My favorite place to buy supplements is www.vitacost.com

Yeah, I know, it’s a lot. But it works. And you’ll get used to the routine. I like to spread out my supplements throughout the day.

My entire family is living proof that it works. My mom use to get many colds and flu and several times got pneumonia. Her flu shot didn’t protect her much. Since her lifestyle change under my supervision, she rarely gets a cold - maybe once a year and it’s very mild. She’ll get over it in two days.

My kids have not been on antibiotics for almost five years. They have not had the flu during that time either. Before our lifestyle change, they got many colds and have had the flu.

My husband is on an airplane very often and has had great success staying healthy over the last several years as well. Need I say, before my plan, he was in the doctors office for antibiotics more than he wished to be. As for me, I am amazed at how this works so well.

It takes time for you body to start reaping the benefits of eating well, sleeping well, drinking well. So be patient and be consistent.

Thanks for reading Healthy Food Bytes: Kick Your Immune System Into Gear

No comments:

Post a Comment